Sunday, February 13, 2011

2-13-11 9:19 pm Community and Comments!

Cars! Every Sunday morning as we trek off to church, we navigate a larger-than-originally-planned-for number of parked cars on our street. Old-town Loveland Colorado, at least in our residential areas, boasts fairly wide streets. And, when cars park right up to the block corners, or right up to the driveway entrance, Harold and I sometimes find ourselves lamenting the crowds.

Anne piped up this morning: "Why don't they put in a parking lot? That would solve the problem!" And so we reflected on the implications of that solution. A house sold, razed, and then a lot put in. So much for the residential feel of our area.

That idea nixed, I pondered: What good comes from this, a crowded church in a residential place? Harold commented that neighborhood churches were meant to serve a pedestrian community. And there-in lies at least part of my inspiration for "carless transportation", which, given the weather and our schedule, seems very possible this week - yay! Pedestrian communities serve our health, our environment, and crowd control.

So. The good that comes from throngs of faithful church-goers to our little neighborhood? More customers at our coffee shops maybe? More life and activity around here? I wish them well, and look forward to their bell ringing in the 10 o'clock hour each Sunday. And they seem to care well for their property. In the end. I think we benefit. In the mean time, we need to breathe, and go off to our own church each week. They boast a parking lot and a huge field on which to rest our tired eyes.

And comments! I confess, until tonight reader comments went unchecked, for lack of understanding on my part. This evening I located a link showing all comments. What a find! The kind words from so many friends, well, what to say? I definitely felt loved reading them. This opportunity to freely share feels like the ultimate free speech. It brings us all closer together, and from that we all benefit. Thank you all for commenting. I promise to respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment