Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2-9-11 5:23 pm Blog: The Internet's Front Porch

We accumulate shared thinking when we open up to those around us. It seems so obvious, and then what happens? We keep them to ourselves.

Another follower appeared on my "Followers" list today, making me ecstatic all over again. That sounds ... somehow conceited. Yet rather than that list representing some sort of "flock" for me, it simply represents a wider circle of ... openness. When people read blogs in general I feel a sense of renewed faith.

Faith. The faith feels connected to community. How disconnected we seem, sucked into our 21st century world-wide-web culture. After almost ten years at this house, we know a grand total of three of our neighbors. And those three we hardly see. Somehow in the quagmire of shifting social standards, readers logging on and checking in with others seems almost warm and fuzzy, in a...digital sort of way.

"Digital" sounds cold. Really, what's more personal than our inner thoughts and opinions? Neighbors once sat on front porches trading thoughts and opinions. Maybe blogs are the internet's version of that front porch, except you can live outside the neighborhood and still listen in ... and even contribute to the conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am so happy to be in your digital neighborhood. I can't think of a new neighbor that has brought so much into my life in the short time I have known her. I thank you each time I read your thoughts and although my actual audio words to you are slight, I mean each of them so very much! Thanks coach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Community. Love and appreciation of one another. It makes us a civilized people. Each of us holds the precious gift of friendship. I feel very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete