Here's what I know: my dear friend, "D", welcomed me in her home for something like over five hours today, I own three beautiful jewelry sets now, I've had over an hour of alone-time at home while Harold and Anne have run errands in Fort Collins, and all my outfits are set out for the entire week to come.
Who knows how Harold and Anne fare up in Fort Collins with grocery shopping, concert orchestra rehearsal, and dinner? Who knows what my friend "D's" evening bears out for her and her family? Who knows how my substitute will do tomorrow? I feel at peace, ready for the week, and relaxed.
And yet, I could worry: What if "D's" welcome was merely lip-service? What if Harold wishes I were with him? What if Anne needs more help with her instruments? What if my outfits don't work for the week?
Any one or all of those wonderings' answers hold potential negative answers, and with that I realize too, better that I not question and worry. If I overstayed my welcome, I certainly was made welcome. If Harold misses me, it'll be all the sweeter the next time we're together. If Anne needs support, she certainly knows where to find it. If the weather changes, my clothes and I'll adjust.
I count so many gifts and blessings every day, yet truest among them seems their recognition. I love the jewelry "D" helped me bead today, and more than that, I appreciate her letting me into her life, sharing time and family with me - the time, I know, she sacrificed to give both before and after our hours together. Harold's willingness to get the groceries seems impossible in some relationships, I know, and more than that his performing the task solo without the least question of me truly shows his level of commitment and ownership in our lives together. Anne practices faithfully every day, and asks for help as needed, and at 11 I recognize a tenacity, her own special determination that reassures me she'll get what she wants from her life. As for me, I will survive. Weather changes, economic changes, job changes, behavior changes, I've made it through all of those things, and will again if the need arises.
In the mean time, I appreciate the resources of love, time, and commitment those around me offer. I appreciate feeling capable of thriving in most any condition and circumstance. I appreciate the luxury of making memories. Thank you all.
You are a gem. A thoughtful, appreciative, honest and insightful sunbeam in the lives of all who know you.
ReplyDeleteBeing in conversation with you is my gift. It's enriching my life. It's like we're all fibers in a large, beautifully woven tapestry. When we entwine ourselves with one another, the piece is tighter, stronger. We are the fabric of our community.
ReplyDelete