A growth-spurt changed our plans this evening. Spending quality time with Anne for a bit early tonight felt like a top priority. And now there she lies, reading, snacking, and just resting on the couch. I think she grew a full inch just today.
In her first year I could tell when Anne was growing. She'd eat and sleep for days at a time. That was it. I'd wait for her to want to play, interact, and those energies would be usurped by the growing. She could barely manage to talk after school today. I began feeling guilty: I'd stayed too long at school, she just needed to get home, etc. And then with our things packed, ready to head out the door, food detoured us. Actually, it turned out to be the perfect destination. That child, after scrambled eggs and two pieces of toast for breakfast, a sandwich, apple and cheese stick for lunch, a water bottle, and crackers for snack, felt famished. Who knew?
So, we stopped and she ate, thanks to a good friend at school. Then we got in the car, me seriously considering stopping at Good Times on the way home, as she continued to ask for food. Then in the back seat, one mile into the trip, guess who slept in restful splendor? My much-taller-now baby. Upon entering the house, after a pit-stop, she crashed on the couch. I just kept bringing her things: a blanket and pillow, crackers and a water bottle, two books. She kept rewarding me with puppy-dog eyes and "I love you, Mom!" - quiet, gratitude-filled, powerful declarations.
She's still obligated to instrument practices, homework, and a nominal chore, maybe setting the dinner-table. These token moments today simply pay homage to routines and build confidence. I want "growth-spurts" to seem manageable for her; she has more to go, I feel sure. Her getting used to this seems prudent.
Today we gained a taller daughter. We reaffirmed the kind of trust caring for someone earns. Maybe we made a deposit in our "love" account. I hope so. At any rate, I guess I also gained a little unexpected time. She continues to rest on the couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment