Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3-16-11 8:17 pm Japanese Slaves, One Thing at a Time, and Power

Hard to believe, research says we only ever really think about one thing at a time. I can do six things at once, poorly and distracted. One thing at a time. It lets me savor each thing. If Anne's talking to me, I can text, as long as she's willing to repeat herself. Even though most people I've told disagree, it seems to be true. Maybe we can do more than one thing at a time. It seems in my life, though, I can only think effectively, and act well, one thing at a time.

Savor. That's what the one-thing-at-a-time allows. Savor the conversation, when there's room to focus on it. Relish doing quality work, because there's time to appreciate it. Stop and smell the roses, the fruits of our labors.

Multi-tasking lets things drop, hap-hazardly, unpredictably. It seems that doing one thing at a time offers a true opportunity for resource accumulation because that allows for true appreciation. It's like taking a trip and having the luxury of really taking in the new place. Doing only one thing at time lets me absorb the events in daily life. Bringing my full self to bear, at each turn lends a quality, a genuineness that eludes me in more distracted states.

Many thousands of years ago, in feudal Japanese society, slaves discovered a silent rebellion, a way to take back their lives. Their strategy: perform each task singularly, and with utter focus. If sweeping, they noticed their hands on the broom handle, their feet on the ground, the way the bristles moved the dirt. Their actions were slow, yet on task. The strategy left no room for complaint by their owners and gave something back to the slaves themselves. It provided something no serf could beat out of them - self-possession.

In self-possession lies power. Socrates said "know thy self". Knowing one's self somehow renders, well for me, an unflappableness. A rock-steadiness only I can muster. It's a gift we give ourselves by choosing it. Self-possession costs nothing, requires no advanced degree, and truly I believe that when it's combined with utter positivity contains an infinite supply of...je ne sais quoi...that certain something that makes us compelling.

Me. I'm my own resource, and through getting to know me better, I have more to offer the world. Mathematically balanced. Incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment