Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3-9-11 6:53pm Kindness Adds Up

I believe in a cosmic balance principle: you reap what you sew. Case in point: Anne & I went to our stylist for our semi-quarterly haircuts. She's nice to us every time we're in, so we keep returning. Anne's cut, by the way, looks striking on her. I, on the other hand, received no charge for basically no cut. What's up? Well, when I showed our stylist, "K" what I wanted, she commented that a bit more length might get me there sooner. So she simply trimmed my bangs and let me walk. She may actually practice a "give more than you get" strategy, as this was the third time she's given us a good turn.

The first time was after my first cut. It just felt off to me. So, I sucked up my courage and went back to her with a kind request for a change. She offered it at no charge, and thanked me for coming back. Ever so much better than my just feeling disappointed and seeking out a different stylist. The next time was actually at our previous visit about two months ago. Somehow the schedule was messed up, and Anne's appointment was missed. Well, "K" sat her down and gave her a quick trim for free. I left her a $10.00 tip after she insisted on taking nothing for Anne's cut. You see the pattern.

The effect: She has built two very loyal customers. She has accumulated a resource. And I kept more money in my wallet. Another resource. Who knows what "K"'s thinking is? Who cares? She's kind, giving, and I now know that when she thinks I don't need a cut, she won't give it to me, and for that I feel eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment